Welcome to Horns Drove Community Pre-School.
We have been established for over 20 years in the local community and provide 28 Pre-School places each day for children aged from 2 years old until they start school.
We are based in oa purpose-built lodge in Rownhams, in the grounds of Rownhams St John’s Primary School, with a large outside play area overlooking the school fields. We have a large climbing frame, sand pit, mud kitchen, kitchen garden and lots more outdoor activities on a daily basis. We provide cooking activities, messy play, story time, Boogie-mites music and movement, playdough, sensory play and water play. We especially enjoy welly walks on the school field. Please come dressed for mess! Please bring waterproofs and wellies as we love an impromptu explore!
We have a wealth of experienced, friendly staff who will welcome and support your children as they begin their journey to become confident, curious and sociable school starters.
We encourage our children to be independent and they are encouraged to wash their hands, hang their coats up and put their lunch bags on the trolley and their rubbish in the bin. Loose clothing will help your child manage their own toileting and dressing routines. Tight clothing inhibits their independence and toileting accidents can impair their confidence. So please bear this in mind when dressing your children.
For children who may need some additional support :
- Our setting provides a disabled ramp for access.
- We have a dedicated SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) and BECO (Behaviour Co-ordinator).
- Your child’s key person completes a Language Box checklist on all children on starting Pre-School and these checklists are reviewed termly.
- If any issues are identified the children are invited to our regular Language Box groups, which they love. We are going to introduce BLAST (Boosting Language Auditory Skills & Talking) next term.
- We have a separate Quiet Room where language box and BLAST groups are/will be undertaken regularly.
- Children are assessed regularly to assess their needs and parents are invited to add their views and ideas to inform their children’s future focus.
- Children’s age and stage inform their future focus and additional needs.
- IEPs are completed by the setting and parents and are reviewed regularly.
- Visual clues (such as NOW/NEXT and choosing boards and a visual timetable) and Makaton are used to support children’s communication. We have a Makaton “sign of the week” and the children are amazing at remembering the signs.
- All activities are accessible to all children and can be differentiated to accommodate all the children’s needs and requirements.
- Staff are experienced and keep up-to-date with training to ensure all the children’s needs are met.
- Outside agencies are contacted to offer support above and beyond what the setting provides.
We are available to discuss your child’s needs and to support you and your child, to deliver a high-quality early years education to ensure your child is school ready.
We currently have spaces available for 2, 3 & 4 year olds. We accept two year old, 15 & 30 hours funding and childcare vouchers.
Please call or email us to arrange a visit.
Rated Good by Ofsted October 2018.